Mugwhys Vintage: Vintage Curtain Simple Block Quilt

Old Eagle Heights

Old Eagle Heights

26 April, 2012

Vintage Curtain Simple Block Quilt

This is the first quilt I made about 5 years ago and is the one that started me on my obsession with patchwork quilting.  I try to use vintage, or at the very least recycled material. I made this one without a pattern or ever reading about 'how to' make a quilt so it was a trial and error project. I used scissors instead of a roller blade to cut the fabric.  I have since discovered the roller blade, thank goodness; it makes life sooooooooo much easier and way more accurate.  Needless to say I had to do a lot of unpicking and re-sewing. Still I'm very pleased with it. I also made the cushions and the pictures.
 
The quilt and cushions are made from old curtains I have bought over the last couple of decades. The burgundy colour material in the quilt is actually the material I saved when we had our old Club Lounge Suite reupholstered (I have used most of the material making cushions which I show you another day). The border and the backing of the quilt is a remnant of new material I bought from a curtain shop ($3.50 for the lot), I just reversed it on the back, so it looks slightly different to the border.
The pictures are just leaves with the veins exposed (I think it just the leaf matter has decomposed and left the stronger vein behind) that I found in the garden and the frames were .50c each from an Op shop.








 





2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this. I've never made a quilt myself but I've always wanted too. I know they have classes at JoAnns, maybe I'll be brave enough to try a class soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. You won't believe how easy quilting is. Even just a couple of classes would help, they give you so many tips and short cuts. Over here we have quilting, knitting, spinning "Guilds". Organisations of experienced crafters who like to share they knowledge. The hardest thing is picking the material and colours. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete

I look forward to hearing from you. Mugwhy